Have you ever watched the show where two people in different countries swap their job for a week or so? It almost always involves a shock on a side of the English worker and the afterwards appreciation of his job back home. We got a chance to experience similar thing as Craig got an invitation to spend a few days in a rural clinic with medical students from Malaysia. I really wish that it was caught on camera as the emotions ranged from hilarious to tears.We were told by Craig's coordinator that we are going to stay with other medical students that are on their posting in rural hospital. All final year med students so the age was all around 22-23. Before we went, I specifically was told (guessing that the reason was that I had a pair of boobs) that it the place where we were staying is operated by fairly strict Muslim rules, and so I was told to cover my legs and cover my bits. Even though I do have a habit of not doing something that I am told to do, I did comply with it as I thought that it is a sign of respect.When we got there, I realized that my patience will be stretched like a Russian gymnast. As soon as we got there, (Me, Craig and Craig's mate from med school called Linford), we were told that as we are not married ,me and Craig have to stay in separate dorms. I wasn't happy about it as you can imagine.Well lets just say that it didn't last long as the second night I sneaked into his room. When I was trying to get into my dorm at 4am,there was a massive lock on the door. Wasn't funny at the time, well funny looking back. The place itself was very strange. It was like halls for students but with the difference that it was all fenced and guarded 24/7. The students spend about 3 months here when they are on their rural posting and whilst they are here, they have to comply with strict rules. They are not allowed to be out of the complex after 10pm and even if they have a weekend free, they had to write the letter to the head of the place to ask permission. Strictly no alcohol either. How different is this to back home with your average student in Endcliffe, imagine if someone would tell him that he can't be out after 10pm with strictly no alcohol. I think we would have riots again. All the rules were strictly for their safety I was told, even though the only danger around there from what I seen is a lost Makak trying to steal your bra. The bus took them all in the morning at 7am sharp to the hospital and then brought them all back. So no chance of skiving. On top of that, the students seemed like machines there. Lot's of them when they got home were doing more work and we have seen numerous people having meeting about projects that were working on at 10pm. But I guess in a way, the students were like athletes, there was nothing else to worry about, just medicine.
The complex
P1140479
The dorms
P1140478
Guess life could be worse
P1140482
Some students have pet rabbits and some students have pet lobsters
P1140485
People often ask me what I was doing when Craig was on placement, but as you all know me well, you know that i don't have problem to sleep till the afternoon and generally not do much. On the days that that I actually do something, it usually involves going to town. As Craig and Linford were spending the days in the hospital and I was getting more and more claustrophobic, I decided to go to the nearest town about 15 minutes ride away. Since it was very unusual for a girl alone to be going to town on her own, I got a few worried faces. Off I went anyway. When got to the bus stop, I didn't realised that they have no buses, just a minibus or an illegal bus which is basically just a normal car. When I asked the people at the bus stop which one to take to town, they just pointed out to a car. I have seen a woman on a back seat and got in it. After a few minutes, the driver was taking us through what seemed to be the poorest area of town, that's where the woman got off. As we were driving through half broken houses and animals on the street, I was thinking how the hell did I end up in car, in a middle of nowhere, with a strange man in a car. As I was starting to shit myself a bit, the taxi driver must have noticed that I was a bit on the edge and he just smiled at me, and asked my if I want a cigarette. So there I was, in a car, in a middle of nowhere, with a strange man, having a laugh and smoking a fag with him.
I spent some time with some of the students as well and they were all really nice and friendly. They would all talk to you, and would be interested in you which I guess is sometimes different at uni in England. You can be surrounded by thousand of students and have not many people to talk to. On our last day two girls took us the beach and the actual tip of Borneo point to watch the sunset. It was absolutely stunning, the place was not heaving with tourists and it felt really untouched. The lonely planet doesn't say much about it, just that they don't want to spoil it and they want people to discover it for themselves and guess what, its worked as there was almost no one there. We decided that stay there for a few days when the placement was over. We had such a good laugh, had great dinner, seen a beautiful sunset, what more do we want from life?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/66343524@N02/7757163444/
Craig and Linford
P1140379
The sunset
P1140459


P1140415


P1140391
When looking back, it was a great experience for me. Craig looked at it in a different way to me of course, he has leaned a lot during the time, and that's what matters. I am glad I could experience it too, as it reminded me just how much I value the freedom we get as students back in Sheffield. I am just like the bin men that worked in Jakarta for a week... So glad to be a student where I am.


Leave a Reply

Blogger news

Blogroll